Sunday, 29 July 2012

The Hokey Cokey and Hazardous Jelly

My son, now at 2 years and 5 months, has a fairly comfortable vocabulary. He can communicate most things in a fairly concise manner, and so the tantrums are limited because he doesn't struggle to convey his message. I think I'm very lucky in that respect, because having a grasp of language like he does at this stage will speed up his learning in other aspects of his life. He already understands so much. I am constantly fascinated by his ability to remember things which happened a few months ago. I think that for the human mind to be capable of absorbing so much in 2 years and 5 months is just astounding. Patterns, rhyming and rhythm are the key factors, I believe, in his development. A prime example of this is that having mastered the days of the week in English, he can now reel off the days of the week in French too (occasionally missing Friday).

The alphabet on a chalk board
I still have to recite the alphabet song
myself sometimes, but I never realised it
was imprinted at such an early age.
He mastered the colour blue a few months ago, and now also has a grasp of red, pink and black. He knows the words to the Gruffulo book, the Alphabet Song and (thanks to the advert for 'Compare the Market') if you as him what noise a meerkat makes he'll say, "Simples". Therefore, him understanding me (except for when his selective hearing kicks in) and me understanding him is pretty standard now. Of course, he still has pronunciation challenges such as: 'pudding' means 'pigeon', and 'black booty' means 'Black Beauty'. However, these cute little hiccups make life more entertaining.

All in all, it's a learning experience for the both of us, and we continue to laugh along the way. I've learnt that singing 'The Okey Kokey' will put him into a trance. He'll stop whatever mischief he's up to and do the dance. Its like magic. I took him to the park yesterday and as I opened the car door to get him out of his seat he said, "Mummy, girls love me". A statement which I'm sure will ring true as he gets older and learns not to walk around with his finger up his nose.

Woman asleep at her laptop
Quite clearly, a working parent
There are a lot of things they don't tell you about parenthood which can surprise you. For example, when my son was a baby I  inadvertently squirted milk across the bathroom - hitting the mirror on the opposite wall - when I got in the shower one morning. It just happens. The most impacting factor of being a parent that you will never be prepared for (because there's nothing else like it) is the mental and physical exhaustion you feel. How people cope with more than one under five is beyond me. They are super human. Fact. You have to be constantly switched on and alert to safety, feeding, watering, toileting and general curious behaviour involving Mummy's walls being drawn on or scooping mud/sand/faeces into their mouths.

Being a parent means that regardless of illness, pain or hangovers you still have to step up and continue your responsibilities. On Friday night I got in quite late after a leaving do for a couple of friends at work. I sat on the sofa and ate a Chinese I'd picked up on the way home (chow mein and sweet & sour chicken balls). My little boy woke up so I tucked him back into bed and curled up next to him because, quite frankly, I was too exhausted to move! I woke up in the morning sneezing with a hay fever nose at 7am, which then woke my son. Obviously (and unfortunately), my little boy is too young to cook for me, so I had to make my own breakfast. My eyes hurt, my neck hurt and as I wandered into the kitchen to start cooking I skidded on the kitchen floor and gave myself a groin injury. It seems that he'd found the jelly in the fridge and had helped himself leaving a trail of it on the floor. Whilst my former self before motherhood would probably have crawled back into bed and called it a day, instead, I spent the day doing fun things with him and thoroughly enjoyed it.

My son provides plenty of fun times and always keeps me on my toes (or on my bottom from falling over toys and food stuffs). I found leaves in the washing machine after a recent wash. It was as though a whole twig had been stripped and stuffed in there. His little giggle is infectious, especially when he thinks he's hiding from you. He's very stubborn and adamant about not being tired at nap time, "I don't wanna go to sleep Mummy. I don't wanna go to sleeeeep. I don't wanna........Zzzzzzzzzzzzz".

He's fantastic and no end of pleasure. However, it would be great to have someone to share his quirky behaviour with. I know I'm slowly working on that, and I will need to be patient. I think with his energy he definitely needs a male role model in his life. My fear is that if he were to grow up just with me he'd have a fabulous dress sense and penchant for painting toe nails. I think we both need a bit of male influence in our lives, but I won't introduce him to anyone unless I'm sure it's the real thing. I can't have him getting attached and then break his heart because of my mistakes.

So for now, we'll keep ticking along, making each other happy. What is my favourite thing about him?:

Now that he can talk, the first thing he says when he wakes up in the morning is, "I love you Mummy".

Mother holding her child

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I have just found your blog. It is very funny. I haven't read all of your blog but when i have more time i will. My question is (and please don't think of me as prying but i am curious. You mention here about your worry of there not being a male role model. From that i am assuming the father has no role in your sons life. If that is the case i just want you to know that your can do attitude i am sure this will make no difference in his life. I know families that are together but partners work so much they may as well be single parents. The children are still kind, hard working, studious and loving children who respect their teachers and the authority of other adults. I hope things work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon,

      Thanks for your comment and kind words!

      Unfortunately I have been asked to limit what I say about my son's father so I will try to stick to the facts! I can say that luckily things are amicable, and his father still sees him a couple of times a month. I believe the time he spends with him is invaluable. However, from a day-to-day routine perspective, and for my son to learn about a 'family unit' is more of what I'm striving for. I know that these days families are more unconventional, and there are all sorts of types of family structures that work for different people. I agree with your comment regarding partners working all hours. That is a very valid and thought-provoking point so, thank you.

      Perhaps my boy and I could do with that third person for different reasons, but I feel all in all they would be a great complimentary addition to our lives.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete