Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Mess and imitation

As I pushed yet another mud-soaked garment into the washing machine the other night - attempting to only touch dry bits of fabric - I wondered how long it would take my son to grow out of the 'messy phase'. Is it in fact a phase, or is that just boys' behaviour in general?

Every day at nursery my son will go through (on average) three changes of clothes. I have had all four of his favourite vices:

- Urine
- Paint
- Mud
- Poop
Toddler with toy dinosaurs
Boys are messy. Fact.

Last week, I arrived to collect him and he was knee deep in the mud pit (the water had flown over the top of his wellies). He was obviously having a lot of fun, and his shorts had wet muddy fun all over them. On another day, just before I arrived, he had dropped his trousers, relieved himself on the nursery floor (in front of other parents), and then picked it up and played with it. I feel I am a slave to the washing machine, and I always have to be a couple of days ahead to make sure he has enough changes of clothes to take with him to nursery.

I am impressed by his capacity to make such a mess in everything he does. Without doubt he will leave a trail of destruction in his wake. However, I feel I may be personally responsible for any larger holes in the Ozone layer due to the constant washing loads.

I am also impressed by my son's thirst for imitation. It's incredible how children watch and pick up small movements, gestures and phrases that you don't even realise you are doing'. The cutest copies are those which are said in the same tone and with the same inflection as me or other adults he knows. Endless amusement.

He loves to hoover (I bought him a minature vacuum cleaner for his birthday in March), but he calls it 'hooving'. He tries to pee standing up, but instead of holding himself he stands, facing the toilet, his toes at the very edge of his step, squatting. He's also taken to wearing nail varnish and an Alice band to nursery, and He also totters around the house in my knee-high (crotch-high on him) boots. Suprisingly (if a little worrying) he walks quite well in heels.

The fact that children learn so much through imitation is one of the reasons I wanted him to go to nursery. I wanted him to have a diverse range of friends of different abilities and ages to learn from. I accept that they can also pick up bad habits, but I am sure that the good out-weighs the bad.

In September I will be moving him to a childminder. I have been lucky to find a great husband and wife team who will ensure a daily adult male role model. My son and I visited the house and he settled in straight away. Deciding who to trust with your child is a very difficult decision. You can do so much to a point to ensure it is a suitable environment for your child, but ultimately you really have to go with your gut instinct.

I have also handed in our notice on the house so the next couple of months will be a busy time trying to find somewhere affordable to live. September brings about change again for us as we will be moving at around the same time my son starts with the childminder. I hope it will be the beginnings of a happier life for us both.

Talking of future happiness, I had a couple of great dates last weekend: The Sweet Swede and The Sea Monster. However, that's an update for another day....


1 comment:

  1. Been waiting ages for this.....I think boys will be boys and at what ever age they just love getting dirty.

    ReplyDelete