Thursday, 5 July 2012

The first date with the Sea Monster

The Sea Monster gets his screen name not because of any appendages he may have, but apparently from his days as a water skier. Apparently.

After weeks of talking on the phone - and then waiting for him to come back from a trip to Finland - the first date with the Sea Monster finally happened on Saturday night. We had arranged to meet at 8pm, so I arrived at about quarter past, because you're supposed to keep them waiting for a bit, right? I wore skinny turquoise jeans (yes I can wear skinny now because I'm a stone and a half lighter) and a black off-the-shoulder top with my nude heels. I wore a strapless bra and some nice underwear. Not because I was expecting someone to see it, but if you feel good underneath it helps with how you feel generally.

It was a sunny evening so I wore my sunglasses on the approach to the bar/restaurant in the hope I might be able to have a good look at him through the open doors before deciding whether to go in. Unfortunately it was dark inside and I didn't want to look like a complete poser walking into the bar so I had to take my sunglasses off. I made eye contact straight away with him, 6'4" and imposing, with a dusting of grey hair and very attractive eyes. I instantly relaxed a little.

This was in fact, the very first date I'd ever had where I met a guy at a restaurant. This was a pretty daunting prospect. Being a gentleman he stood up as I approached the table and I saw the pastel pink linen shirt (hmmm, not sure), smart trousers and smart shoes. I gave him a kiss on the cheek and there was that slightly awkward, "Hi, how are you?" moment when one person ends up asking the question twice. I took a seat beside him so that we were both facing the bar area.

I had purely arranged to meet him for a drink. That way, I thought if I didn't think it was going well I could make my excuses and leave. However, I noticed there were menus on the table and the bubbly waitress bounded over and asked me what I'd like to drink. Once she had taken my drink request she said, "I'll be back to take your order shortly". So in the blink of an eye I had been inadvertently coerced into a dimly lit romantic meal.

Red wine and plate of food
Romantic meal for two
I ordered a starter salad....and a bowl of chips. He ordered two starters, one of which was asparagus, and also a side of asparagus. When the food arrived the waitress explained that they had accidentally made an extra starter of crab cakes for our table. She gave them to us anyway free of charge. It looked like we were at a Spanish tapas bar with 6 dishes on the table. He worked his way through each plate like a conveyor belt (and some of my chips). He will forever be known as an asparagus junkie in my eyes.

I was drinking a stronger version of Malibu and got a bit giggly. We did some people watching and made comments on hairstyles, levels of drunkenness, clothes and the fact that a girl's thong was a little too visible through her dress! We talked about everything, marriage, kids (he did, I didn't) and that if someone he loved didn't want those things then he would just have to live with that. He was very courteous and ever the gentleman. He very much believed in pink jobs and blue jobs but at the same time explained his love of cooking and giving massages (obviously skilled in the art of telling us girls what we want to hear). He made me laugh a lot and made some very cheeky comments. One particularly mischievous thing he said was when he asked me my thoughts on "wild sex". When I asked him in disbelief to repeat his question (it was loud in there) he said, "poli-tics". Trust me, in the noise they do sound the same.....and although he denies it now, I know he was after my reaction!

He was educated in Hong Kong in an international school so he has a slight American twang to his voice. His accent generally is very soothing and he's great to listen to! We got on really well, and he paid and offered to take me home. At that point I was pretty sure I'd missed the last train anyway and I felt pretty comfortable. I agreed for him to drop me down my road but not outside my house. He had a red Mercedes. The source of my amusement with his car was the sheep skin rugs he had in both the driver and passenger foot wells! Of course, ever the lady, I had to ask, "What the hell is that?" Apparently it's so I don't damage the back of my heels. Oh. OK. Actually, that makes sense. Even though the inside of the car does look like it's been revamped by Xzibit or Westwood on 'Pimp my Ride'.
Sheep skin rug
Heel protector


As the car came to a stop I was a little concerned about whether to give him a kiss on the cheek in the car, or see if he got out of the car or something else. I didn't want him to think I was going to let him kiss me, so I undid my seatbelt, leant towards him and aimed for his cheek. I think he may have wanted a bit more. But I didn't really give him the option as I said my good-byes, got out of the car and tottered off to my front door.

Luckily, I must have left a good impression because he texted me the next day to say he'd enjoyed the date and asked if I'd like to do it again. Which I would. Chatting to him this week he said that I am quite hard to read. He felt I couldn't get out of his car quick enough! Yup. I couldn't chance having a tipsy fumble in the front of his 'Pimp-mobile', especially knowing he was sober!

Unfortunately, he received some awful family news yesterday, so today he jumped on a plane to the south of France to be with them. For at least the next couple of weeks I'll have to wait and see what the next date will bring. I told him I'm not in any rush. I'm just taking this dating thing as it comes and having a bit of fun for now.

One thing is for sure: Summer in England may be a late one, but I can tell it will definitely be hot.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! The blog is back! Your updates are so entertaining! I wanna hear about the other date...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emilie,

    The update for the dates with the Sweet Swede will be coming very soon....

    ReplyDelete