Thursday, 31 May 2012

Have you ever woken up with food in your bed?

Marmite on toast is the worst, I'm told. This is according to a friend whom - following drunken nights out and the obligatory post-alcohol-junk-food-binge - would wake up with various food-stuffs in her bed. Normally stuck to her face. Quite a few years ago I woke up on a train at the last stop in Oxford (an hour past my destination) with the dripping remains of a Big Mac on my chin and a partial burger bun in my lap. As there were no other trains until 5am I had to share a taxi with two strangers who had made the same mistake.

When I ordered the Chinese last Friday night out (I'm sorry Weight Watchers)  I was very conscious about politely asking the cab driver if I could take it in the taxi, sealed. I then waited patiently until I got back to my friend's flat, and ate the food in a civilised manner, from a plate, with a cup of tea, before climbing into bed. This resulted in clean bedding in the morning, and no sticky-face or food-in-the-eye incidents.

Mojito
I can no longer handle my Mojitos
I have definitely become more aware of my behaviour and my party habits as I've grown. Although I can still dance on a night out like a loon (whether I've been drinking or not) I have definitely got to a point whereby I just cannot keep up with the young 'whipper-snappers' who can party all night. I also find myself yearning for a DVD followed by a hot bath. Being ten years my junior, my sister relishes the chance to tell me how old I'm getting.

It's funny how your outlook on life changes as you mature into a fully fledged adult and how things fall into perspective. Things that would upset me before are now minor blips that I brush off. I felt a lot of rage towards the incompetent employee of a well known toiletries retailer the other day. However, as I left the store, got in the car, and drove further away I became more calm and realised that what I was annoyed about was completely insignificant.

As I've learnt and grown I've realised if you want something to happen, you have to make it so. I am now entering the next stage of my life, and I know that compromises will have to be made in order to adapt. I am enjoying the prospect of the unknown and look forward to the fun good times and the challenging bad times.
Pile of clothes for ironing
Conquering 'Clothes Mountain'

My ethos for the last few years has been 'improvise, adapt and overcome'. This has now been extended to 'out with the old, in with the new'. I am thoroughly looking forward to the prospect of what lies ahead and this new idea applies to every aspect of my life. I've actually had a pretty productive few days whereby I've cleaned the house from top to bottom, de-cluttered, cleared out seven sacks worth of old clothes (yes, seven), and mowed and strimmed the lawn (for the first time in my life). This spurt of productiveness has been topped off tonight with a mountain of ironing which I'm slowly climbing. This cleansing process is really invigorating. I feel that after a difficult year I am back in control of my destiny and I am focussed on what I want and who I want to be.

I have been talking to the Sweet Swede daily, and the Sea Monster ever other day. My first date with the Sea Monster will be this weekend followed by my second date with the Swede. I think it's pretty clear that I really like the Swede (I'm pretty sure the feeling's mutual) but I don't want to jump in with both feet quite yet until I'm absolutely sure.  It's been great to meet new people and to go back to being the social butterfly I always was. I felt like I'd been ripped from my prior existence and put into someone else's life for a time.

I hope that being a happy Mummy will mean that my son is in turn happier so that his behaviour improves even more. He's already mastered the bedtime routine and the biting and hitting has reduced dramatically. I'm looking forward to enjoying watching him grow, and to see how his personality develops as we step into the unknown together.

1 comment: